Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

QUESTIONS, ANYONE?

By Nerola (Rolie) Grady


Mom always told me that I had tons of questions from the time I was little. What makes this go? Why does that happen? She welcomed my naptime as a silent oasis in the middle of each day. Little did she realize that I was recharging my batteries for Round Two in the afternoon!

Then as now, my mind is usually going at a fast pace. How about you? What puzzles you, frustrates you, or just keeps you up at night? Here are a few of my latest bunch of brain teasers:

-How do you stop the automatic number indentation in WORD documents?
-Are there any politicians with common sense?
-What ‘special place’ did I designate for the birthday fund?
-What can I make for supper when brain fog rolls in at 4:00 p.m.?

These are small items…nothing earth shaking, but they do pilfer emotional pocket change if I let them. It got me to look more closely at this subject. Can anything good come out of a pile of questions?

I used to think the answer was no. It’s easier to settle into a daily routine and know exactly what is coming next. But all routine and no change saps the color out of life.

If you want to get from Point A to Point B, you usually need some kind of road map to show the way. What if questions are the brain’s way of spurring you on to the next change point? Something like a mental walking stick.
Big challenges seem insurmountable until broken down to bite size pieces.

Next to a good belly laugh, don’t you love it when the light bulb turns on…when the answer finally comes? It’s like a tiny bubble of resolution in a sea of ambiguity. One problem down, several more to go. Will I ever get all my questions resolved? Probably not, but what makes the process special are the answers that become life changers for me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Rolie. And, if you ever find out how to stop the automatic number indentation, please let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete