Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chariots of Fear

By Marie Tschopp

Have you ever wanted to smack someone upside the head?  I’ve wanted to, especially after reading passages like this:   

“Joshua replied, “If the hill country of Ephraim is not large enough for you, clear out land for yourselves in the forest where the Perizzites and Rephaits live.”  They said, “The hill country is not enough for us, and the Canaanites in the lowlands around Beth-shan and the valley of Jezreel have iron chariots—they are too strong for us.”  Joshua 17:15-16 NLT

What was the Israelites’ problem?   God miraculously brought them out of Egypt, led them by a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day, caused water to flow from a rock, sent manna from heaven, and parted the red sea while destroying Pharaoh and his army in the process.  Yet, they still whined that ordinary men with iron chariots were too strong to overcome.  Sheesh! 

In retrospect, sometimes my faith journey isn’t much better than the Israelites.  For example, my husband injured his back this winter and couldn’t work.  The injury appeared as a Canaanite with an iron chariot, too strong to overcome.  (Insert a good head-smack here).   I knew better.  I’d seen the faithfulness of God too many times—times when there was more month than money, and the money stretched.  Times when I needed an encouraging word and the phone rang.  Times when the factories my husband worked for closed, and other employment opened.  Time after time, miracles dropped from the Father’s hand straight into mine, and this time was not different.  I shouldn’t have been afraid. 

Take it from me, if you should spy a Canaanite, don’t despair at the spinning wheels of his iron chariot.  Instead, recall the faithfulness of your Father and heed the exhortation from Joshua 17:18 “…you can drive out the Canaanites from the valleys, too, even though they are strong and have iron chariots.” 
If you have problems doing this, let me know.  It’s been a while since I smacked somebody. 

2 comments:

  1. Beware what you write--God is reading! Just days after this post was published, my husband lost his job due to a plant closing. With this economy--talk about iron chariots!! God reminded me of my post, and I'm clinging to his promise of provision. So, bring it, Canaanites! My God is fighting this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marie,
    Thank you for sharing with us this new challenge in your family's life. You are in my prayers for peace, strength and may you feel God's pleasure in your attitude of trust in Him. I'm so thankful that we know God has plans for you and is working them out for His glory and your blessing! Praying for you!
    Your sister in Christ,
    Gail
    (P.S. Been trying to post this comment for 2 days! Finally tried on a Firefox and voila!)

    ReplyDelete