Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Carpe Diem

By Lisa Lickel


I live with a double whammy of health issues. It wouldn't even be a problem if we lived fifty years ago; and yes, I'll be celebrating the big 5-0 later this summer. There wouldn't be a problem because I wouldn't have known at least one of my genetic health problems and therefore wouldn't care. One of the conditions is controllable – with side effects that don't make me happy to be alive; in fact, I'm struggling to work off the result of the third medication trial. Ugh. I believe the conditions go hand in hand; therefore I choose to ignore the ignoble treatment of the controllable condition; the other issue has no treatment and no cure at this time.

That leads me to ponder what will get me first. The long-standing death at 54 of someone or two in every generation we can count? The controllable issue? The tired semi drive or drunk driver that crosses into my lane? The weather?

Honestly, who cares? I made my peace with God long ago. I raised two great kids who love the Lord and serve him with all their hearts. I published three novels by traditional means. I have made a difference around me in at least one person who was moved to a deeper relationship with God as a result of my work. I may not have the greatest witness, but I am assured that nothing will separate me and my Greatest Joy.

I choose these moments to mentor other writers; I choose these moments to give other writers a voice, a chance to succeed that may not come from any other source; I choose to leave a legacy that my children can be proud of. I choose to know God, to love the Lord, to relish the moments as if each were my last. To enjoy what which I have been given but also to look forward to what I cannot understand with my earthly mind and heart. To sing in righteous voice. To praise without a sin-filled backlight. To know fully, even as I am fully known. Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to learn of you health issues, Lisa. I love your attitude, and know I can learn a lot from you!

    ReplyDelete