Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Getting Around the Things of Life

By Kathryn C. Lang

Things get in the way – no matter how much I plan or how great my intentions – things find a way to get in the way. At least, that is how it seems. My life will be moving along with gusto. I will see the signs of confirmation all around me. The joy of it all will bubble over onto anyone that I encounter.

And then it isn’t.

One little thing pops up and all of those amazing and wonderful moments are lost. I struggle just to breathe - forget about moving forward. That one little thing manages to crush the enthusiasm under its tiny foot. The darkness closes in and I am left alone.

Only I’m not.

A song comes on to remind me that I am not alone. A friend calls unexpectedly just to let me know she is thinking about me. A letter arrives in the mail just to say hello. Suddenly, I catch a glimpse of that possibility that I was living in when it was joy driving the day instead of darkness hiding it.

Things get in the way – but I do not have to let them stay there. I can kick them to the side like a stick in the path. Things will try to darken my horizon – but I do not have to remain in the dark. I can see beyond the darkness to the dawn or beyond the storm to the rainbow.

And you? Do things get in your way?

# # #

Kathryn C. Lang shares words of inspiration on her website www.kathrynlang.com. Join her there as she finds new ways to face down the storms, discover the rainbows and live in a river of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment