Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Learning How to Do It All

By Kathryn C. Lang

I can do it all . . . I just have to figure out how to do it all at the same time. I manage a little here. I find a way to do a little there. Sooner or later, something slips through the cracks and I am left wondering what on earth I was doing in the first place.

Top Tips for Doing it All

Know what you really want to do. Having a plan for life (much like you would create for a business) will help to direct the choices. I need to know what I want to accomplish. I need to know why I want to accomplish it. I need to have steps to get me across the finish line. The right plan will help me understand what I really want to do.

Set a goal (or two). Long term goals – where you want to be in five years and ten years – can be the motivation for reaching the next level. Dream big, but dream honestly. I have to be willing to stretch myself if I am ever going to be more than I am right now.

Keep moving. Nothing gets done if I am not doing anything. Sitting around wishing and hoping will leave me starry eyed, but not much more. Action is the difference between a dream and a win.

Get some support. Accountability pushes me when my own motivation has dwindled. It helps to have others that will encourage me in my journey to success – and that will hold my feet to the fire when I am struggling to get moving again.

Cut back. Getting it all done does not mean everything under the sun. Some things will have to be cut. Review the activities that take up the day and find the ones that work best. I need to do what I need to do and sometimes that means not doing what I do not need to do.

I have to know what I want if I am going to get to where I want to be. Investing the time and effort into my what, how and when can be the key to finding my way to do it all.

# # #

Kathryn C. Lang shares words of inspiration through her talks and articles. Learn more about Kathryn at her website www.kathrynlang.com. You can also purchase her books through her website or most online retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment