Inspirational thoughts and random writings from the alumni and friends of Quad-Cities Christian Writers Conference.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Suspended in Time

By Narola Rolie Grady

I took a trip of epic proportions this morning.  I didn’t set out to do that, but it just happened.  It reminded me of those time line exhibits in a museum…..the kind that kids race through, while parents are torn between learning something new or corraling their offspring. 


My journey began in the early silences of a new day.  It was the words of a national leader that caught my attention.  “LORD, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.”  Psalm 90:1.  Moses’ heart is full as he looks back over a tumulteous life  with one foot planted in sandy desert and the other in eternity. 


A dwelling place.  I bow my head in reverence as I listen to this private conversation between man and his God.  The One who formed that baby in the womb, and quietly filled his mother’s heart with a determination to keep him alive, even if it meant releasing him to an Egyptian princess. 


Moses carries that dream for his people, one so filled with the fire and power of the Almighty, that it almost destroys him when he attempts to take on Egypt singlehandedly.  But even as he retreats to the back side of a desert, God’s eye follows His every move, waiting until the flesh is broken and Moses no longer trusts in his own strength.


Moses goes on to voice this fiery relationship between Jehovah and a nation bent on living out of darkness.  Now in later years himself, this leader- turned-worshiper yields to a sovereign majesty who makes earthly joys pale in comparison.


Around verse 14, my heart joins in the refrain.  “Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days!”  I’m straining along with those early forefathers to fully enter the Promised Land.


Then I watch as Moses circles back around at the end.  “And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us;  yes, establish the work of our hands.”  Peace invades the room, fills the day, and I slowly stand, knowing that this 24-hour time capsule is safely preserved for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment